From: mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Friday, November 7, 2008 12:23:14 PM
Subject: Re: Live vs Bidule

Slightly veering from the topic, but maybe someone can help me here...

I have some quite hefty musical score to do for work soon, (not experimental at all) but to do it I have told my boss that I need some new software than my out dated copy of Reason. So a new copy of version 4 will me mine soon, but... I also need to record some live audio along with the reason tracks. Now, I DDONT usually record multi-track stuff (my own music is always LIVE onto 2 tracks, with a bit of post tweakage and editing) BUT when I have done a little... I have just used Reaper (discovered during the NinJam craze, and I love it) which synchs to Reason very well, AND provides a video window (needed, Im doing film music here).

HOWEVER... If I was to get my boss to buy me another (more PRO) program, for multi-track audio recording and synchage to Reason... what??? I think My options are.

Logic (awaiting Perīs recomendation already)

ProTools (have used a bit before - industry standard, so I would learn a useful package)

Live (Is this a "proper" multi-track recorder - mainly drawn to it cos it seems very er... cool, and possible to do some ker-razy stuff too)

Now before anyone starts saying "why dont you use one of these programs with soft synths and stay in one program.... the reason is that I already have a large reason library, I find it usefull to have all the synths in one package, instead of constantly trying out new vsts (fun at home, but dangerous at work)

What would people suggest?

Mark

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
> in simple terms, what is the reason for you as a livelooper to use Ableton
> Live compared to programs like Audiomulch and Bidule? or vice versa, or does
> anyone use both?
>
> -Michael

In simple terms....

--> Live has
- a sequencer,
- exciting effect plug-ins,

--> Bidule has
- CPU saving ways of keeping huge fx patches at hand,
- Let's you run a plug-in looper as the sync master (1st loop set tempo)

Except for the above mentioned discrepancies I can not think about any
more things that these two applications do not already share. The both
offer routing (maybe Bidule takes a short lead here), mixing,
recording, plug-in hosting.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen