Re: semi-OT: i recommend Victor Wooten's book

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Warren Sirota <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
wrote:
> I'm nearing the end of reading Victor Wooten's The Music Lesson. I'm sure
> most of you know and admire this amazing bassist. The book is a mystical
> story about Wooten's spiritual ideas about music and performance (and
>life).
> There's a lot of stuff in there that is pretty far out, maybe
>unbelievable,
> but the attitudes and perspective on music has already changed me for the
> better, I would say (or, perhaps more accurately, I was changing already
>and
> this has helped to focus some of that change). I know a musician who has
>put
> this book down in disgust, but I think it's really worth checking out.
>
> Warren

I test read a chapter here http://www.vixboox.com/ and boy is this an
interesting book! I'd say "the elements of music" are as true as are
the laws of physics, mathematics or whatever science - or Language, as
Teacher Michael in the book says. Not putting down the mystical view
though; for example I love reading Castaneda too, but that doesn't
mean I'm a practicing shaman ;-)) But the techniques told by Don Juan
have been well known to man for thousands of years as a reliable way
of refining and tuning these strange things known as "human beings".
Methods for learning music are just as universal. I'll look for this
book now, because I got curious of what aspects of musicianship he
will pick for Teacher Michael as the other "elements of music"?
("Groove before play" being this chapter's theme). Thanks for the
great tip, Warren! I didn't know this book existed.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)