Re: What's experimental?

that's probably the safest route. Or conversely, some people say that you
can tell when music isn't experimental, but saying something is poses more
problems. Lot's of fuzzy boundaries, subjective and relative criteria at
stake.   Definitions like this ought to be set by what assembles naturally
as the world's community of experimental music. Sort of like in science.
Things work themselves out over time based on dissent and assent,
discussion, testing, etc. The experimental music community is out they
have
a prominent presence with festivals, website, mags, etc...so to some
extent
they have already provided definition for us, but a working one, not a
theoretical one.

For me, the term provided enough confusion and ambiguity that I removed it
from my festival and changed the name to the Boise Creative and Improvised
Music Festival.  Still uses problematic terms, but easier for me to
address.

Kris