Re: What's experimental?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill" <rs@moinlabs.de>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:22 PM
Subject: AW: What's experimental?

> So...again, I'm going to try the analytical approach, and comment on some
> posts as I go (and I hope you authors pardon me for not specifically
> mentioning you there):
>
> It's interesting if we look first at what wikipedia has to say about it
> ("it" being "experimental music":
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_music
>
> "Experimental music is a term introduced by composer John Cage in 1955.
> According to Cage's definition, "an experimental action is one the
>outcome
> of which is not foreseen" "
>
> and furthermore (paraphrasing here):
> Michael Nyman used the term to describe American composers as opposed to
> the
> European avant-garde at the time.
>
> According to David Nicholls, avant-garde is at the extreme of the
> tradition,
> while experimental lies outside of it.
>
> So we have more or less three different definitions:
> (1) music for which the outcome is not foreseen (Cage)
> (2) odd music from America (Nyman)
> (3) music which has no relation to tradition (Nicholls)

It could be considered that music which has no (apparent or immediately
apparent) relation to tradition (by this can I assume you mean
'perochially-educated classic tradition'?), where the outcome is not
forseen
(as seen in the less-structure-reliant improvisations), might also be
considered to be 'odd music from America'.  This could be anything but the
more musically-educated amongst us might be able to correct it.

Thx.