OT: itunes and quicktime was Re: Elijah B Torn on Vimeo

Hey Nick,

Quicktime sucks and I never have been able to completly remove it, it
doen't
run in the background exactly but it installs quicktime plugins to my
browser that even when disabled insist on routing mp3s through it. Winamp
is
able to take control but its a long struggle to get it to open them as it
has to battle the imovable quicktime plugins. And yes when I installed
Itunz
it is an Itunes-Quicktime install only. If I missed something they are
good.
I caught all the other "offers", like default player, etc some aol crap,
which is a whole other rant.

Ok, Itunes itself, on reboot there is 3 obvious items running in the
background even though I told it no default player, etc.
ipodservice.exe - I don't have on and would not use one.
itunes helper.exe
applemobiledevice.exe - same as above
I disabled the first two from msconfig start up and the third from
services
tabs. Fine they don't come back on startup.
There is a fourth one that's a little trickier, I noticed an extra
instance
of svchost.exe running and I can't tell what it is from  task manager so I
ran Process Explorer and found that it was Bonjour service or
mdnsresponder.exe which allow itunes to advertise and discover services on
the local network. It enables you to connect with Apple tv, and Itunes.
From
here I turned it off but it still came back on reboot so I went back to
msconfig and did find it in services after all. I turned it off and all is
dormant except what I had from the earlier bout of quicktime.

oh well, I love the tunes, what can I say? I'll just leave it as is and if
need it I'll crank it up again,lol.

And yeah, I could've stole it and then sent him the cash but that is
ethicly
dicy. I use my own criteria on that can of worms. To thine own self be
true.
All music on the net is free for the taking or not. Mostly I choose not,
mostly...

peace,

   Jeff