Re: (OT) Obama

> A week after the Berlin Wall fell I was on a beach in California,
> enjoying the positive benefits of a surging economy thanks to
> Reagan's administration and the belief on the part of most
> Americans that things were getting much better.

Yes, those were the days--Iran/Contra, the beginning of trickle down
economics (prosperity sure never trickled down to the people I know),
and the continued cultivation of fear mongering ("The evil empire").
Of course, in retrospect, Bush II makes Bush I and Reagan look like
gentle, wise old men.

>   I don't want that fear introduced again into my country's
> mindset, by a man with no foreign policy beyond imitation diplomacy
> and PR stunts.

We have much bigger problems facing us than the threat that someone
is going to launch a nuke our direction. Second, I have the utmost
confidence that Obama will put together a cabinet of skilled and
extremely capable people. And unlike Bush II, I suspect he'll
actually listen to them before making an informed decision--whatever
the issue(s) may be. Third, he's much more informed about foreign
policy than Bush II ever was going into office. Fourth, he has
Biden's considerable experience to draw upon. I could go on...

> I won't answer any of this twaddle after tomorrow, since like most
> Conservatives, I intend to get on with my life instead of whining
> about the election being "rigged" just because I disagreed with the
> result.

The funny thing is, I went to bed last night feeling confident that
the political climate in this country might genuinely begin to
change. Both McCain and Obama's post-election remarks were
conciliatory. Both of them acknowledged the need for the right and
left to work together to solve the considerable problems we are
facing. I think both of them, despite some very important policy
disagreements, are moderates who understand the need to work across
party lines. I hope the bitterness and disdain you have regarding the
election passes, and I hope it's not indicative of the way the other
50 million people who voted for McCain feel today. We've got to move
past the winner-take-all mentality that follows election night, while
the loser harbors resentment and plots revenge. I think this country
can do a lot better than that. There's way too much at stake to
continue the culture wars.

Jeff