Re: (OT) Obama

From: "Warren Sirota" <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be as ecstatic; I really would.  However, this is *exactly*
>> how
>>
>> Not trying to be a downer.  But let's just say I'm *very cautiously*
>> optimistic.
>>
>>        --m.
>
> The president is not a savior (cf "The End of American
> Exceptionalism"). but at least this one isn't as likely to be a royal
> f*ck-up as the last proved to be. I'm ecstatic simply because i didn't
> have to wake up and feel doomed today.

This present typing is being done by someone who, having been born in 1956
with a desire to write, I would look up in the sky to see a metallic glint
off an airplane, and immediately wonder if it was a nuclear missile on the
way to hit NYC.  I realize years later that some of this was the creative
part of the mind, but also that an awful lot of this wonder (which in the
case of nukes turns to fear in grown-ups) was my brain's way of dealing
with
the FACT that America from the 50s to the later 80s was under constant
threat of nuclear attack.

A week after the Berlin Wall fell I was on a beach in California, enjoying
the positive benefits of a surging economy thanks to Reagan's
administration
and the belief on the part of most Americans that things were getting much
better.  And I looked up in the sky to see a glint on an airplane's wing,
remembering how they all used to be naked metal instead of painted white,
and realized that I hadn't wondered, as I had as a child, if it was a
missile headed for a target.  And I realized how far we'd come since those
days under John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.

9-11 was stunning to the planet, but it wasn't a nuclear attack like many
expected to someday happen, years ago.  I don't want that fear introduced
again into my country's mindset, by a man with no foreign policy beyond
imitation diplomacy and PR stunts.

I don't usually quote an old fossil leftie, but Obama is no Jack Kennedy.
Of course I wouldn't call him "Jack" because I don't want anyone to think
was ever on speaking terms with such a fake.

I won't answer any of this twaddle after tomorrow, since like most
Conservatives, I intend to get on with my life instead of whining about
the
election being "rigged" just because I disagreed with the result.

SP Goodman
*
http://www.youtube.com/spgoodman
http://www.youtube.com/enturbulata