Re: OT Re: If the world could vote

The Brits suck anyway. Except for the Beatles. :)

--- On Wed, 11/5/08, SP Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net> wrote:
From: SP Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net>
Subject: Re: OT Re: If the world could vote
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 4:24 AM

Having lived in England for over eight years now I can easily tell you that many
here hate America no matter who is President.

> My experiences mirror yours.  To the credit of most ex-US areas they
distinguish between US people and US government.   I am pondering from a
phenomenological point of view why we are concerned about other countries'
opinions while others could care less about ours (and I've seen this first
hand especially when the Soviet Union fell apart where I heard on more than one
occasion "Your opinion about who we elect means nothing-this is our
country", and seen it in Spain, Britain, Germany and France)

> Perhaps, because in the world's timeframe we're still new kids on
the block, so to speak, so we want other's approval?

<micdave@hiwaay.net>

America.
>> Those in Europe who either remember or have families who suffered
through
>> the 1930s and 40s are especially sensitive to seeing one person or
small
>> group of persons get too much concentrated power in a great
industrialized
>> state.  When I was in Italy in 2005, an older gentleman who spoke
English
>> asked me over coffee one morning:  "Did your country not learn
the lessons
>> of World War II?"
>>
>> dave
>>

>> Sure, but that's my point.  I'm speaking from a
>> cultural/anthropological/phenomenological perspective.   We teach our
kids
>> to do what they think is right and not worry about what others think.
We

<ParadoxQuine@gmail.com>

interesting to see what
election.