Re: Software Loopers and Hardware Loopers

Man, I love this discussion.  Here's a little secret about my preference of gear. If I could find a two space hardware device that could hook up to my MIDI controller, and I could run max/msp, reaktor, any VST (including Mobius, etc), I would probably buy it and then I'd be back to hardware. And I don't mean some portable computer devise that has shit handing off of it and a flimsy display, but a real solid rack unit that with pro durability. The Muse Receptor would fit the bill, but it has its own lack of flexibility that I can't cope with. If it ran max patches and any VST, that would be cool.

For me it is about options and flexibility. That is the bottom line. I didn't go to the computer because I disliked hardware, but because I was sick and tired of being boxed in (no pun intended) by a limited set of features, or having to build a 20 space rack to get the features I wanted.  A traditional hardware looping devise to me is like a one trick pony (or a 10, 20, or 30 trick pony). That fact that it has limitations bothers me. With the computer and max/msp, the only limition is my own adequancy to program what I want....and I'm pretty damn inaduate at programming max/msp. I borrow a lot of stuff and patch it together.  I go with the computer  not beacuse I like the computer, but because I love what I can do with it. Otherwise, since I work on the computer all day, I hate the damn thing and with I didn't have to use it to make music. That's way I make these random looping and effect patches...so I can get away from the blasted compouter when I play. I loath it on stage. I just want to get away from and play my instrument.

My dream hardware box is a solid black box with no dials or buttons. Only a guitar input, and two balanced XLR outs. I plug in, walk away, and it performs like a virtual human looper/effector accompaniest...makes decisions, is creative, reacts to what I do, etc. :)

Kris