Re: freeware for macbook pro

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Erdem Helvacioglu <erdemhel@tnn.net>
wrote:
> hey,
>
> i have finally installed both macosx and winxp on my macbook pro! now i
>am
> looking for interesting freeware sound design, edit etc tools for mac.
>any
> help, links will be much appreciated.

Hi,

Good to hear you're up and working on new stuff! I personally love the
SoundToys plug-ins, only available for Mac unless you are running Pro
Tools under Windows. The native bundle is the way to go if you like
classic Eventide harmonizers, Eclipse, vintage tape delays,
rhythmically grooving filterbanks etc. They are not free, but hundred
times better than free plug-ins ;-))
http://www.soundtoys.com/products/SoundToysNative/

Sound Magic Spectra is given out for free by the developer, the
composer Michael Norris. Some really unique sound design capabilities
in there...
http://www.michaelnorris.info/software.html

The Nautilus Bundel from Audio Ease:
http://www.macmusic.org/software/version.php/lang/en/id/2661/
I especially like River Run, the granular mangler.

Finally, if talking meat and potato audio design tools - get Logic!
Apple is practically giving it away now (to lure peeps into using
their computers) and this big number of instruments and plug-ins of
this top quality is a yet unbeaten bang for the buck bundle. Can only
be used inside Logic though.

For audio file editing the best application IMHO is still SoundForge
on Windows. SoundForge is the reason I won't delete the Windows
partition on my MacBook now when finally Mobius runs on Mac ;-))
(format the Windows partition as FAT32 and you can use it from OSX
just as any external drive, moving files etc)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)