Re: MacBook buying advice?

I'm running on a Macbook, non-pro, that I got in early 2007. I enjoy generally working in OSX, and I really like Logic BUT.... i really see the advantage in cross-platform things, and all the marvelous Logic synths and fx are not only not available if you have to switch over to Windows for some reason, but they're not even available as AU so you can use them in other programs. Probably copy protection is at the root of this. (OTOH, with Live and Max/msp, both protected, i can work on whatever OS is at hand). No regrets about my Macbook purchase - at the time, you couldn't get a core2duo windows laptop any cheaper than the macbook i got.

Applecare, btw, is marvellous. I have spent well over an hour on the phone with a hard-core techie guiding me through typing in Darwin shell commands to fix a very weird problem with my boot camp partition - you get to talk to knowledgeable people, an absolute rarity in the computer industry. ok, it costs $350 (for, i think, 3 years). but no-one should ever buy a laptop w/o an extended warranty, especially a musician, because almost always the connectors are hard-wired to the motherboards, and you don't want to pay to replace a motherboard when the headphone or FW jack stops functioning (I'm getting my Macbook back from the apple store today after they just did this for me for free).

Rick, you know you can boot into OSX from the DVD drive and then try to repair or reinstall the os from there, don't you? And on the boot camp side - well, i think problems there are probably not blameable on apple (except for their weirdly inexplicable omission of tap-clicking from the trackpad driver, which drives me nuts but is not your issue).

best bet for most people now, possibly: a used macbook with FW from ebay.

I can't possibly see enough advantage in OSX over WinXP to attempt of installing OSX on a non-apple machine. if you want cheap, live with Windows. It works just fine, even tho they're stuck with some crazy conventions (like alt-F4 to quit an application).