Re: OT Re: CONSTRAINED RANDOM Mick Karn

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:24 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> Rick Walker wrote:
>
>> Daniel told me that Mick Karn adopted this rapid vibrato technique
>because
>> he was insecure about hitting the pitches accurately.
>> I laughed out loud at that wonderful notion as I love Mick Karn's
>rubbery
>> approach.
>
> I love his playing too!
> By observation, I'd say he's not so good at playing in tune.
> His tasty use of flanger/chorus may be in part to hide that.
> Also, his control of dynamics is done for him by compressor,
> which means that we hear at one level all those differences
> in tone that a bass produces when played with varying strength.
> This also adds a lot of interest to his sound, all those little flicks
>and
> pings coming out clearly.
> ...and furthermore, he uses a lot of open string notes, pretty much
> regardless of the key of the music.
> (just try it, starting in C# half way up the neck, instant Karn)
>
> ..but his sense of rhythm and originality is astounding,
> the overall result is that he's (imo) essential listening.
>
> andy butler

Yes, the flicks and the pings! Interesting. I totally loved it when
Japan changed their musical outlet for the more electronic style.
After hearing a lot of Pastorius (including all those more or less
talented copycats around by 1979-80) it was great to experience
someone playing a really raw fretless bass with no jazz influences! He
was like a drummer hitting that bass, so the heavy compression being
part of the instrument makes total sense. Thanks for telling!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)