Re: Frequencies was Re: AW: AW: OT: new Macbook wíthOUT Firewire :(

Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> The main reason why higher sampling rates sound better, is avoided
> aliasing. It's almost impossible to create an analog filter which will
> pass all until 20 kHz and cutting all above 22.05 kHz.

and that ideal filter still introduces a lot of phase changes below 20kHz

>To create a
> filter that has a complete octave to do that is much easier to build.

> What makes the high end converters so expensive is the filter...

It's also hard to make the clock really stable, and more so as the
frequency increases.
I've heard that sampling at 192kHz often sounds worse than at lower sample
rates
due to the increased jitter of a less stable clock.

> The bad reputation of digital versus analog is due to bad implementation
> of converters in the beginning of the digital era btw...

Strange days, almost everybody claimed that the sound was an improvement.

andy butler