Re: bbe sonic maximizer

Jeff,
The shortest answer to the comp question is, "It depends" ;-).

Probably 65% of the time its through an aux on the board pre fader.

For acoustic guitar, I have a three gain stages in my mic pre
(http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html) before the board.  I  apply
compression through my aux.

Drums.....well....I like really BIG kick sounds and ringing snares, so
anything to fatten up the kick is great in my book.

In a multi-instrumental world of sonic bliss, I'd apply the TC 1210
expander and a final EQ-ing to the main bus on its way out.

For compressor units, or things with compressors in them, I have
DBX 166
ART Pro VLA
Focusrite  TwinTrak
TC Electronic G Major
Line6 X3 Live

I've used behringer compressors before and they're OK.  great if you
need a lot of compressors in the rack for live stuff.  DBX is the
tried and true.

The ART Pro VLA I like quite a bit and have used since the mid
nineties.  It adds an interesting color to vocals that appeals to me.

The TC unit is clean and quiet.  great on guitar.  really great on
acoustic.

The only thing Line6 makes that I'm really excited about is the DL-4.
the X3 is a toy.  Its fun to make noise with and do weird things.  Its
pretty easy to carry around.  But the signal is dirty with alot of
hiss.  It goes from muddy to way too loud in a flash and is just too
hard to a handle on in a live mix.  controls for the onboard effects
are overly simplistic and not for most of the people that lurk on
looper's delight.

so back to sonic maximizing ...
   There was a thread last week that talked about frequencies below
20hz.  I don't remember the exact details, but it was talking about
these freqs not being perceived as sound although potentially still
being musical.  It reminded me of a debate I used to have with Peter
Koniuto some time ago.  What Peter would do was notch out everything
below 20 hz.  This resulted in an increase of gain and sonic
definition within the remaining frequencies.  I always felt that sound
did not have to be heard to be perceived - particularly when it came
to these lower freqs.  The results were quite interesting,
nonetheless, and is still something worth trying to apply to your
final mix to see what happens.

I hope that helps.

Jeff

--