Re: Portable recording device

Hi all,

I am new to looping, but learning a lot via the contributions in this group. Of the various lists I subscribe to, this one I read all the messages. I am a classical guitar player & composer, & especially interested in those doing acoustic instrument looping. I also love/use electronics & computers (Kyma/Capybara, U&I MetaSynth, etc.).

In terms of portable recording devices, I have a Zoom H4 & I am very happy with it. (I don't have any connections to any of the portable recorder manufacturers, except as a user). I record my guitar practice sessions quite regularly with the H4, as well as my sound & drumming improvisational circles/gatherings (5-25+ people). I have also looked at the Zoom H2, The Sony PCM-D50, & the Korg units (MR1000 (5.6MHz) & MR1(2.8MHz)). I like them all for different reasons. The advantage of the Korg units is that they record in DSD, which makes them future-proof. Even though you need to convert the recording now to let's say, a 96KHz file, if/when a new standard appears, you will have the ability to convert to this new file standard with your archived DSD recordings, at no quality loss. A small conversion price to pay for the ability to be future-proof, I feel. (http://www.korg.com/mr/)

Here is a website with extensive sound samples for the various portable recorders. The neat thing about the website is that there are various samples of instruments & voice, to give you a better idea how a recorder will perform for your particular application:

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

A word of caution is that the original 16-bit/44.1kHz wav files have been compressed into mp3 files for web posting. But the sound samples are great for a relative comparison, plus if something sounds good on this page, the actual recording will sound even better. I've listened to quite a few of the samples & can hear nuances to the recordings, but all in all, everything I've heard sounds great.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Eduardo Martinez
musician - composer - artist