EDP Sync -- a partial solution and some oddities

(sorry for the repost... first dissapeared and forgot to change subject when recycling another email for the second...)

Okay, the only way I can get this to work is:

If I set the EDP to Timing-->Sync = In
                                                 8th/Cycle = 8
                                                 Quantize = CYC

                                 Midi --> ControlSource = OFF    (If I do not do this, keyboard presses on the Ozonic intended to be musical mess with the loop timing in weird ways, display flashes odd things.)

Then I set Live (haven't gotten Logic to work yet) Midi Sync preferences / Midi Ports to Sync for Ozonic External (the exchoplex) but I turn both Track and Remote off in that same row (for good measure). I also make sure Ozonic External is not set up as a control surface in the section above.

This allows me to press play in Live so I see it's sending out a midi sync signal, then start a part or two in Stylus RMX, then I can record a fairly tight loop of what's playing into the exchoplex, then stop the RMX plugin so it doesn't echo.

After that I can proceed with looping as normal, changing tracks and sounds in Live and overdubbing.

PROBLEMS / QUESTIONS:

1. Though there is some quantization going on to keep things in sync, I don't think it's always starting at the beginning of the phrase and I'm not sure how to set that... I tried 8th/chcle=8 and the 1/8 note option in the Live pull down menu, as well as the 1 Bar option. I'm guessing that's, like, an 8th note in 120 bpm that I'm seeing as a the single steady flash of Midi Sync out in Live... (took me a while to realize you have to hit play in live, not just have the plug in sounding)... are there other options besides this one constant signal tied to a fixed BPM that might suit working with the EDP?

2. It's interesting that it records a small bit of empty time when pressing play in Live but not the record button on the echoplex... seems to fill in the smallest quantized block of time??? Could this be related to the start point of the loop not being where I anticipate it should have been?

3. Sometimes if I try to overdub a new drum part it will sound in sync with what's already been recorded, but not nearly always. It's way hit or miss even if I haven't stopped the EDP or Live and I can't figure out why that might be, though I bet if I focus systematically I'll figure it out... point is though, I'd like to know how to lock it so I don't have to have some weird work flow to keep it working in true sync.  It's not perfect by any means... echo effect over time, sometimes start a new RMX drum part and it's just off with what you recorded of the first two, etc. But sometimes it works well enough... weird.

5. I played with Sync = OUT on the EDP and In in Live... I forget what happened now, but a) does anybody think that's worth playing with more? Would there be some advantage I'm not thinking of? I figure if the EDP is in sink with the Live, then arpeggiations  and delays applied should be in sync too, but that's the kind of thing I'm asking about. B) is there a way to get the best of both worlds... some sort of in AND out method/settings I might consider? So I could, say, start with a looped sound on the EDP and have that set the BPM in Live or some such?

6. The EDP has a Sync = OU5 option that is not in the manual. What is that used for?

MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH THANKS FOR ANY THOUGHT, SUGGESTIONS, TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTIONS, ETC.

Happy looping.