Re: Mobius first impressions... and questions.

Jeff Larson wrote:
> One option would be to put the loop into "lockdown" mode where you
> can trim, slip, pitch, window shift, and retrigger all you want but
> nothing you do is undoable and you can't be overdubbing or applying
> feedback at the same time.  Then the moment you start Overdub or any
>other
> destructive modification the loop is "unlocked", whatever was last
> playing becomes the new loop, and we resume the undoable layer
> list as usual.

Would it be possible to simple adjust the start and end points
(non-destructively) and then just apply loop modifications (multiply,
overdub, etc.) from that point? Would that be compatible with undo?

In that case you are operating on the greater (entire) loop, but you
only hear the part between your designated start and end points (a loop
window). In that case you are working on a loop in a loop, but I don't
see why undo can't just operate on the entire loop and still make sense.
Just as now, things like multiply or insert would increase the loop time
and move the end point. The difference is that in this context it would
do it in the loop window and only adjust the greater loop's end point if
the window were to extend beyond it.

Does that make sense? Is that a workable way to do it? I'm probably
forgetting about something important, and not having read the source
code, I am just taking a shot in the dark. Anyway, this type of question
is really interesting.

I just started experimenting with mobius on my ibook last night and I
have to say that what it offers - multiple scriptable loopers with
EDP-like functions and more - is so exciting and wonderful. Scripting is
the missing link for me in a lot of this music production/performance
software. Thanks for porting this to the mac! I eagerly await an AU
version at which point I hope to begin my experiments with a new laptop
running mobius inside of mainstage.

Thanks,
- Sam