RE: Mobius first impressions... and questions.

> As many of you know from my previous rants aginst the "laptop loopers"
> I am a self proclaimed "hardware head" (its a medical condition you
> know).

There are certain "medications" that can help.

> First-up I should say I couldnt get my FCB1010 to work with it.
> it out with my M audio Ozone. Imagine my dismay when I went round the
> back

Right, you can't route the FCB through the Ozone.

> And I think THAT issue would probably solve all my problems. As
> everyone knows, you cant loop with a mouse click... impossible, but I
> tried

What you could try is assigning Mobius functions to keys on the Ozone
and pressing them your toe or some other mechanical apparatus.  But a cheap
MIDI interface is best.

> (anyone using Mobius in Mulch BTW... works?? or??)

AudioMulch is one of my main testing hosts.

> think I probably have to change the noise floor setting,
> cos it was writing Overdubs every loop, even though I wasnt playing
>anything

Yes, either set feedback back to 127 or raise the noise floor in the
Configuration->Global Parameters dialog.

> I was annoyed by the fact that one track stayed in Overdub when I
> switched to another... any need for that?

In theory if you had a multi-channel audio interface each track can be
receiving from a different set of input channels, which are in turn
connected to a different musician.  With suitable programming of the
MIDI pedals each musician can have total control over a track,
regardless of which is currently selected in the UI.  I'm not aware
of anyone that has actually done that but that's why it is.

You can also do things like have two tracks overdubbing at the same time,
with different settings for direction and speed.

I think it is reasonable to have an option to automatically cancel
any recording mode when you change tracks.

> So actually I DIDNT like that it had multiple tracks,
> I could use ONE more than the edp... so two...

There is a way to reduce the number of tracks.  I know at least
one person that only displays 4.

> but I found myself going to new tracks all the time, like it was a
>repeater,
> and that makes a different kind of music... that is unweildy and
>repetative,
> one that you cant change in a moment cos everything is spread across
>tracks...

This is one of the primary uses of scripts, controlling multiple tracks
in an instant.  It isn't especially easy, but people often post what
they're trying to accomplish on the mobius Yahoo group and we offer
suggestions.

> None of the speed change or pitch shift things worked

Yes this is a Mac port issue (you probably have an Intel Mac).
Actually speed change should have worked, but pitch shift is hosed.

> It distorted quite easily for me after a few overdubs, prob need to
> fiddle with gain structure I guess

Yes, I frequently get asked for some form of compression because it is
easy to overload if you overdub a lot without reducing feedback.

> Loved the idea of the track slip thing (is this the same as on the
> repeater? Should it slip by cycles, beats.. what?) unfortunatly that
> crashed Mobius on my machine...

In general the Mac port will be less stable than the windows version,
Slip has been around for a  long time.   I'm not sure what the Repeater
does but you can use it to slip forward to the next subcycle, cycle,
or to the loop end OR you can slip forward one of those things relative
to where you are now.  So if you were halftway through subcycle 1 you
could either go to subcycles 2 or subcycle 2.5.

> Does ANYONE have UN-synched tracks as a default? Why?

Usually ambient background drones.

> Now Im NOT SURE if scripts will let me do the same thing...

Yes more.

What does "Shuffle" do? Button didnt seem to do anything.

Shuffle is supposed to cut the loop up into pieces defined
by the 8thsPerCycle parameter then rearrange them.  A sort
of coarse grained type of granular synthesis.  See the
Shuffle Mode parameter for some options.

> By the way.. where is the Mobius list, couldnt find it at Yahoo...

groups.yahoo.com/group/zonemobius

See hou there...

Jeff

PS

Terribly sorry about paragraph 3.  I have two family members
with cancer.   It is very scary, but it can be fought.  Good luck.