RE: Your Top 5 Pink Floyd Albums

In no real order:

1. Meddle (sans Seamus)
2. Obscured By Clouds
3. Dark Side of the Moon
4. Animals
5. Atom Heart Mother

I really love pastoral Floyd - the era where Rogers hadn't really
exerted too much control - when Gilmour and Wright had more to do with
the sound of Floyd than anything else.

The first album I really knew was Dark Side, then Piper. I love Piper -
but as I've gotten older my music tastes have tended to become further
removed from Psychedelic whimsy. There are certain songs of the Syd era
which are brilliant, and I had the good fortune a couple of years ago to
write a cover story for Guitarist Australia on Syd and the guitar
techniques associated with early Floyd which was very special.

However, my guitar heart lies with Gilmour. And On An Island is the best
solo Floyd record bar none. In fact I would even rate Gilmour's S/T
record above The Wall.

I admire Waters' lyrics and philosophical positions - when he started on
his megalomaniacal trip really destroyed all that was good about the
Floyd - the loss of the incredibly delicate and pastoral musical
sensibilities of Wright and Gilmour to the subservience of overly wordy
lyrics married to sub-standard melodies from The Wall and the Final Cut
is almost too much to bare for my ears. Waters lost the poetry of his
earlier work when he started getting angry.

And while I won't ever refuse to acknowledged a band and a artists
growth in their work - it is bittersweet for me when it comes to the
Floyd as for me, their peak was when everyone was working in partnership
between 68 and 73.

Though really, I still rate the post animals Floyd albums highly than
many other bands best albums so my disagreement with the waters
megalomaniacal era is really just academic.

Cheers
Tom