Setting Up my new Gibson Echoplex Pro

Loopers,

Great site you have here. I am new to looping, having just purchased
a Gibson Echoplex Pro. I saw Keller Williams live recently and was
inspired to try the one man band thing.
Anyway, I have searched the archives and have not been able to find
the answers to a couple of basic questions (so basic probably a
caveman will know them before me)
I wish to loop live an acoustic guitar, bass, vocals and mandolin.
Keller had a 16 track mixer with 3 echoplex's in his rack, all
synched together.
His roadie told me he has 3 units because he needs 3 footpedals on
different parts of the stage where his various instruments are setup.
My questions:
1. If I purchase a 16 track mixer, will I be able to loop everything
(guitar,bass, vocals) with my one Echoplex unit (without having to
plug and unplug each instrument and mike during performance)?
2. I noticed Keller would play a part on an instrument, then press a
button on one of his mixer channels right after the loop. What do you
think he was doing?
Thanks in Advance,
Todd