Re: Best way to use EDP & tube amp w/out an effects loop?

For the best sound, you'd probably want to mic the amp, put the EDP in the mixer aux loop, amplify the EDP through a clean monitoring system.  Or, use a silent speaker box (guitar speaker inside a small soundproofed box with a mic mounted inside, and send that the mixer and put everything through the clean monitoring system.  Lots of gear to move around though.

Or, like you said, get amp with an effects loop.  However, many guitar power amp sections aren't really designed to handle a complex signal such as live guitar plus loopage.  I used to use a Mesa 50/50 and EV cabs, which were both so clean that it wasn't really a problem.

TH