RE: OT reducing your carbon footprint

vary well put Jeff  :-)

--- On Wed, 9/3/08, Jeff Larson <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com> wrote:
From: Jeff Larson <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com>
Subject: RE: OT reducing your carbon footprint
To: "Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com" <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 3:04 PM

> The polarizing nature of the comments about the Right is mainly in
> reference to Fox News which has already done the polarizing.

Well they've certainly helped it along but I don't find the so-called
"liberal blogosphere" any less to blame. It's funny how everyone
is
just so damned sure of themselves these days. It must really simplify
life.

Have you ever actually watched Fox News? I watch Fox News about as
much as I watch anything and don't really see a great deal of
difference between it an any of the other "entertainment news"
channels. O'Reilly frequently says the war was a mistake and believes
global warming is real. Bias? Sure. Over the top, bible thumping,
war mongering lunacy? Hardly. (Well, with the possible exception of
Sean Hannity who makes my skin crawl).

I know people that sit in front of Fox News for hours a day when
they're not busy listening to AM radio. This bothers me because they
believe they're "thinking". I also know people that spend hours
a day
reading MoveOn and HuffingtonPost and this bothers me for the same
reasons. People apparently like being angry. They are also
easily influenced when they are.

Skepticism is a good and healthy thing. But it needs to be applied evenly.

> -- a resistance or refusal to adapt and adjust to the
> changing conditions and needs of the evolving planetary situation.
> (Hence archaic brutal traditions like genital mutilation, whaling
> etc...)

I love how we can make a connection between some average
Joe-Fox-News-Watcher-Baptist in rural Ohio and genital mutilation.

It is similar to the way Hannity drags out Ward Chruchill and Jeremiah
Wright whenever he wants to show everyone what "liberals" believe.

I am as concerned as anyone about the influence of religious
fundamentalism on governments and there is no denying that they are a
powerful force among American "conservatives". But assuming that
roughly 50% of the American population all believe in the same things
just because they're going to vote for one party or another doesn't
seem fair to me.

Jeff

Oh, and to bring this back on (or is it off?) topic. I believe global
climate change is real and we should do whatever we can to make it better.
Sadly I don't expect any of the career politicians of either party to do
much
about it until something really bad happens.