Re: OT reducing your carbon footprint, helping the state you live in

IMO, the best way to reduce your footprint, for reasons i won't bore
you with because you know them already...is to NOT BUY ANYTHING NEW

i don't like to preach and chose this for myself for many reasons.
for example, i stopped buying new clothes (ok, except underwear and
socks!) many years ago. there's enough in all the used clothing
stores to keep me going for many lifetimes! and then i just started
sewing my stage clothes. same for appliances, toasters, vacuum
cleaners...(except the refridgerator, because old US models are
shockingly inefficient).  and don't get me started on cars...its more
"eco" to drive my old VW golf until it falls apart, rather than buy a
new prius. also, salvaged building materials wherever
possible...luckily the house is entirely constructed out of redwood
and stone from the surrounding land.

as for gear....i make an effort to get all my music gear second hand,
and to learn how to repair stuff. of course, there are items i really
have to buy new. usually they are so specific (my AKG cello
microphones) that no store stocks it, and i have to order it. i like
small geeky music shops, even if there is never anything in them that
i want other than cables. in portland and san francisco i would have
the store order it and then go pick it up. however, i've yet to find
a willing music store out here near bodega bay. there's not much in
the way of stores of any kind actually, which makes not buying
anything REALLY easy! but i guess i agree with bill in supporting
small local stores where possible when i have to break down and buy
stuff.

i've also resisted selling classic band merch - tshirts and such.
even though everyone tells me i'm a fool. i just don't want to fill
up the world with more useless junk. (fyi, just try getting a disk
manufacturer to NOT use shrink wrap). now i DO like selling my music
on itunes!

all that said, i don't think i'm a martyr since i'm not deprived in
any way. i just prefer it and its how i was raised so it comes
naturally.
i certainly don't hold anyone else to these standards.