Pan FX Returns in Loop Mix: Stereo/Mono?

Hi Loopers (at least those of you looping in stereo ;-)

modern FX units (thankfully) offer the luxury of returning a stereo signal.
This is of course great for Ping-Ping-Delay etc.
Then again, when I'm adding several layers that I'm panning in the stereo
mix, I have the impression that I can pan a mono signal better and that a
stereo signal gets muddy in the mix (in terms of panning).

My conclusion at the moment is to:
- Use only mono FX returns on vocals
- Use stereo FX on harmonies etc

Does that make sense or is it just my imagination?

thanks
Buzap