Re: counterpoint quote

Quoting "L.A. Angulo" <labaloops@yahoo.com>:

> I remeber when i was taking some crash music courses
> in the university listening to some beautiful pieces
> of counterpoint (if i am not mistaken)at times it was
> also just strings fading in and out slowly (sort of
> what fripp does with his synth soundscapes)but this
> were classical pieces.I remeber asking the teacher
> after class the name of the composers but
> unfortunately lost my notes on that,can anybody
> recomend essential listenings of this?I am also really
> interested in dreamy soundscapey classical string
> music compositions.
> thanx
> Luis

What comes to mind is the "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber,
The "Gayane Ballet" by Aram Khachaturian (used in "2001, A Space Oddessy"),
"The Planets" by Gustav Holst  (has some slow movements that are quite
ethereal), and,
"The Unanswered Question" by Charles Ives

These works are pretty well-known -- you will likely recognize them
even if you don't know them by name.

Also, check out chant-based polyphony from composers such as
Palestrina and Byrd.  Though choral music the interleaving melodies
are quite haunting.

Anyway, this would be a start.

-- Kevin