Re: counterpoint quote

Quoting "aaronleese@flyloops.com" <aaronleese@flyloops.com>:

> Hey all-
>
> Just reading on wikipedia and came across a really nice quote that I
>   thought people here might enjoy discussing from a looping pov.
>
> It is hard to write a beautiful song. It is harder to write several
> individually beautiful songs that, when sung simultaneously, sound as a
> more beautiful polyphonic whole. The internal structures that create
> each of the voices separately must contribute to the emergent structure
> of the polyphony, which in turn must reinforce and comment on the
> structures of the individual voices. The way that is accomplished in
> detail is...'counterpoint'.
>
> -John Rahn
>
> I bring it up of course, since counterpoint is one of those things
> that can be fairly easily accomplished with looping .... You hear it
>   in some of the audioclips people have posted here for that matter.
>    I wonder if anyone here has looped any bach .....  ?  Send it
> over   if yah have ....... I would love to hear that.

To create countrapuntal textures while looping is quite possible, of
course -- however to do a Back transcription while looping presents
some challenges:

. In Bach, the imitation is generally not at the unison and the
imitation is often tonal rather than real.

Thus, it would be possible to create, say, a Fugue exposition with a
loop -- you would need the ability to pitch shift the fugue subject
without altering the tempo.  Also, the subject would have to be
designed to allow real answers rather than tonal answers.

The looped parts would all be imitative counterpoint -- the only free
counterpoint would have to be played without looping.

An invention that answers, say, at the octave might be a little easier
to manage.

OK .. to put this in English -- you would record your loop, then the
loop would play back at a different pitch from the one you recorded it
at.

When I loop, I think contrapuntally however I have shyed away from
Bach counterpoint per se, due to the limitations of my looping
configuration.

One of the works I played last year at the Y2K7 Loopfest is entitled
"Three-Legged Race" and it utilizes countrapuntal texture however it
is more along the lines of Reich counterpoint then Bach counterpoint:

http://kevinkissinger.com/threeleggedrace.shtml

The only Bach that I have played on the theremin is the six-voice
"Ricercare" from the musical offering -- however it is a multi-track
studio recording that wouldn't lend itself to looping.

http://kevinkissinger.com/bachricercare.shtml

As far as Bach counterpoint, the Halloween work "Mummies and Unholy
Ghosts" unexpectedly breaks into an entire fugue exposition.  I always
liked the way Beethoven does this in the final movement of his 3rd
Symphony (the "Eroica" symphony) and so I wanted to try it. :)

http://kevinkissinger.com/mummies.shtml

To complete this post which is more about Bach than looping, I also
posted a Bach transcription on my "Aries Synthesizer" page:

http://kevinkissinger.com/ariesinfo.shtml

In early August I will have a CD out (finally) that will feature some
new looped works all of which are informed from musical counterpoint.

So, to answer your question, I haven't tried to loop Bach per se,
however my approach to composition is informed from Bach and other
contrapuntal composers.  Looping is a great medium for anyone who
embraces counterpoint as part of one's musical language.

If you've recorded any Bach, let me know.  :)

-- Kevin