Re: New concept for looping control - extremely small and portable!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hey Per
>
> thanks for the details.
>
>>  When these two crap out on me I will go for some USB powered
>> button pad thing that also has analog inputs for simple foot switches
>> and expression pedals.
> Is there actually anything like that out there???

No, not yet.

> Having an (optional) expression pedal would be so cool...

Indeed! And because "it would be so cool" I bet someone will manufacture
it!

> I'm still thinking about this 1-pedal thing. You know, at the moment, I
>count 20 pedal buttons on my floor and I usually use a dozen of them
>while looping. So, call me a bit biased ;-))
> Nevertheless some thoughts:
> Couldn't you work it out like this:
> - Have your footpedal always trigger a MIDI CC with the number retrieved
>from a variable
> - Incidentally, pressing the footpedal once will increase the variable+1
> - So next time you press it, it wil trigger the next MIDI CC (whatever
>you assign to it)
> - Have your Faderbox buttons assign specific values to that variable
> Example:
> 1. Press Faderfox button A => Assigns variable="12"
> 2. Press foot pedal => sends a MIDI CC 12 and sets variable++="13"
> 3. Press foot pedal again => sends a MIDI CC 13 and sets variable="14"...
> 4. Press Faderfox button B => Assigns variable="30"
> 5. Press foot pedal => sends a MIDI CC 30 and sets variable="31"

Yes, that's exactly what I built with Bidule the other day ;-)

> Another option would be actually to have some buttons that you can very
>quickly access (i.e. while playing the guitar).
> So you would train these double-moves of rapidly pressing a key manually
>and then stomping the footpedal.
> Something like the Akai MPC buttons or a 25-key midi keyboard would work
>well for that I could imagine.

Yes, that's my intention.

> While I'm at it:
> What do you really need a footpedal for, really? Personally, I mostly
>sync everything to the first cycle. So the only things time critical that
>a footpedal would need to trigger would be:
> - Begin of first loop
> - End of first loop
> - End of a multiply (i.e. when both hands are occupied)
> Anthing else could be easily triggered manually when set to switching at
>loop/cycle end, I guess.

Interesting.... I need a foot pedal for two reasons. First, I like to
use some functions that are not quantized; as "overdub dots" or
mocking with pitch and rate of a loop while playing and overdubbing
into it. Second, guitar is fine playing one handed by hammer-ons and
pull-offs, but wind and reed instruments lose half the note span if
played one handed.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen