Re: Quest for a mobile recorder - how manufacturers do designs...

kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com schrieb:
> The reason for this is that after the D/A converter the signal (which is
> a series of discreet stepped voltages) is passed through a low-pass
> filter (to smooth out the edges).  At 192khz, the cutoff frequency is
> high enough that it won't cause any noticeable effect on the audio
>signal.

For D/A it doesn't make a big difference, but for A/D it does. Its about
the filters you need before the converter. at 44.1kHz they need to be
extremely steep, and create ripple. Though I guess 96 kHz is usually
good enough, I can hear a difference to 192 kHz as well. The result is
much cleaner and more transparent. If you down sample afterwards, you
don't loose as much, as it is possible to build ideal filters in the
digital domain. But I don't know of any device which would do that
directly...
High end fundamentalists would rather buy four times the processing
power and keep everything at 192 kHz...
The price, size and weight of the R-44 is aimed at that market...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------