Re: Was Re: mobius for mac Now, Slight Tangent ...

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Dennis Moser <sinsofmachaut@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Any thoughts on minimum specs for a USED PC laptop to run Möbius as an
> audio machine? Obviously, I can add RAM (but it means having a machine
> to which RAM can be added) and put in a new larger hard drive.

Yes. My first Mobius laptop was a ZEPTO centrino with a single core 2
GHz CPU (Intel P-M 755 2 MB Cache) and 1 GB ram. That machine worked
perfectly well, crystal clear sound even when simultaneously
manipulating eight parallel tracks or loops. I often made minute long
stereo loops. It seems looping audio is pretty light on the processor.

However, the ZEPTO could not handle everything when I started to build
also sound design effect chains to play through. What happened then
was that I got audio artifacts when playing through my most CPU heavy
patches.

For laptops I have only had good results with firewire (and card bus,
PCMCIA) based audio interfaces. I have tried a couple of USB2 based
interfaces but they did not deliver clear sound, so I took them back
to the vendor.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen