Re: quest for a mobile recorder

I can also recommend the H4, only got one last week, but Im very immpressed, I was also looking for something with 4 trk mode, 2 mike + 2 lines, but alas its either/or as far as I can tell. The built in mikes are fantastic, and the box is chocko with gagets, like amp modelling, mike models (it can pretend to be an SM58) and was a hoot last week, when I had to quickly write a old school heavy metal track for a film im doing at work, (was trying to rip off an Grand Funk Railroad thing ha ha). Now I have no idea if the Marshall Stack sounds anything thing like a real one, but its good enuff for me!!

It has a great 4 track recorder (only gripe being that effects must be added on the inputs and cant be added afterwards per track, seems silly to me, its all in there, guess they cant do 4 effects at once) Plus its a little fiddly with the menu, easy to navigate, but fiddly, one joystick thingy is ok, but the second jog wheel wotsit is around the corner and yet does most of the work!!

I havent really done any serius field stuff yet, but made a wonderfull "sound scape/ collage thingy" within minutes of opening the box, playing piano strings, my trusty "Shinon Koran Tutor" plus the cat purring, oh and the kids running about.

Here it is, just for sound quality evaluation, not artistic content.. All made IN-Zoom, using the built in mikes.
www.markfrancombe.com/empathree/Piano_Koran_Cat_&_Kids.mp3

Oh ok.. heres the metal too... kinda ends in a silly noise, only first few bars used in my film... beware... no looping content and definately not my usual thing.. but mike modelling and Marshall Amp coutesy of zoom, (wah is a cheap behringer)

www.markfrancombe.com/empathree/The_Side_Effect.mp3

When I think about the shitty recordings i made make in the 80's with 4 track recorders.. blimey them youngsters dont even know they're born now , do they..?