Re: In praise of Logic Express

I can't really do a direct comparison, because I haven't used Sonar in
a couple of years. One of the reasons I went for Logic is that I
wanted a fairly *complete* toolkit so that I don't have to always hunt
for and evaluate different drum kits, synthesizers, fx, etc. The
version of Sonar that I got had nothing in the way of instruments and
very little in the way of fx. have no idea what they're offering now.
Plus, I don't remember whether Sonar supported my 24-bit interface or
not, but i would have been afraid to up the cpu load to that on that
computer.

So that's a lot of words to tell you that i just don't know. What I
can tell you is that Logic (even Express) comes with a lot of
good-sounding effects chains for guitar and synth patches complete
with tempo-synced delays and other stuff that not only give you plenty
of cool sounds to explore, but also are classified in a really
intelligent manner
(for the record, I believe that this area of "snippet/effect
classification" is a very underrated and ill-understood area, which
will inevitably become increasingly important as the creation of music
continues it's move towards editing/arrangement and away from straight
tracking. Apple really *gets it*, as anyone who has hunted for loops
with the garageband interface knows, and that interface was copped
from Logic, which applies it to fx and instruments as well as loops.
Everything is "tagged" so you can do multidimensional searches. This
is in contrast to Sonar, Live or any other program I've seen, in which
you are left without help to organize your resources other than trying
to stick things in folders that have to constantly be reorganized or
rethought-out and even documented in external text files. ugly,
horrible, and bound to get worse. but i'm an IT guy, so things like
this tend to offend me more than most).

BTW - Now I've received Logic Studio but I can't install it till i get
a new hard drive for my laptop! (well, I was constrained by that
anyway, since i run a 30 gig boot camp partition that i could otw use
for music, and I can get a faster drive than the built-in one). Logic
Studio == 41GB install! Wow. I guess there must be a LOT of samples in
that package.