RE: software looper

Now that would be cool!

-----Original Message-----
From: expertsleepers@googlemail.com
[mailto:expertsleepers@googlemail.com] On Behalf Of Os
Sent: Wednesday, 18 June 2008 5:30 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: software looper

> ...please.. im intrigued... BTW, what about making a looper for
> playstation 3? get some hardware doing the work? plus good graphics
> engine, thinks most

Speaking as an ex-game developer - the PS3's graphics aren't all that
special. a recent nvidia or ATI PC card is better. The PS3 has
reasonable floating-point maths grunt, but very little memory, so a
serious looper is going to have to be streaming stuff on and off the
harddrive all the time. Plus do you want to have to take a TV out to
gigs so you can see the display?

But on the more general theme of novel interfaces - I've occasionally
thought it might be fun to write some software to visualise looping, for
use as stage visuals (since it's often not that interesting for the
audience to watch a stationary guy press pedals). If you could get your
looping software (or hardware) to output some information about what it
was doing over MIDI (or OSC), then another piece of software (which
could be on another computer) could receive that information and make 3d
stuff to look at.

Maybe all the looper manufacturers in the world could get together and
agree a common "looping visualisation MIDI protocol", so any visualizer
would work with any looper. I can dream!

cheers,
os.

2008/6/18 mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>:
> More on your...
>
> - 60 frames per second animated user interface 3D objects
>>
>> - camera moves around and zooms automatically
>
> ...please.. im intrigued... BTW, what about making a looper for
> playstation 3? get some hardware doing the work? plus good graphics
> engine, thinks most LD people would be interested in new ways to
> interact with the loops, its almost the thig actually... All loopers
> loop,overdub  most multiply, divide, some do quantising, most go
> backwards, BUT... theres lots more, that the more dedicated among us
> are having to program ourselves in max or pd or whatever (not me)... I

> envisage a 3D interface, like that light table modular synth posted
> recently http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/ but ON screen...
> What about a looper where you can physically place the loop in space,
> then chop in half with an axe, take half the loop with you, while you
> store the other half in the bank, plant your loop, overdub on it,
> water it, watch it grow, divide it into 256 mini loops, and spread
> them to left and right and above then multiply one to 5 times its size

> change its key and have it chase the other mini loops, the end comes
> when you  destroy the loops with the Blunderbus leaving microscopic
traces shivering and glistening as they fade.

--
os@collective.co.uk
http://www.darkroomtheband.net/

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return
email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from
your system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or
commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its
subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us,
please reply to this
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.