Looping with no pedals (using EDP program)

HI,

One thing I wanted to do with my EDP, but wasn't able to because it
could not hold enough programs in memory, was to have just one foot
pedal button but change program in the EDP to have this foot button
take on different commands. Now I have moved my looper and effect
patches into a laptop I can finally make that old wish come true. But
I don't know about any "one button foot floor pedal" that is available
on the market. Any hints?

What I need is one small box that sends just one MIDI event. I have no
wish for any special MIDI event - it can be a midi note, a program
change, a control value or whatever - I'll make a Bidule patch that
redirects it to the event needed for the looper.

Aren't there cheap USB buttons one may use? I'd actually prefer that
before MIDI.

Or what really would be cool is to use an analog foot button pad, just
like those switchers that come with cheap synth keyboards, that are
used for the sustain pedal function. If I could connect one such
switcher to a phantom powered mic input on the audio interface and
mock up something in Bidule that recognizes the change in voltage and
creates an event in the software. Wow, I just don't know enough about
electricity and cables and stuff, but wouldn't that work in some way?

I'm thinking about rearranging my looping rig to get rid of the FCB
and only use ONE tiny pedal button that only sends one MIDI event,
accompanied by a hand button pad. On the hand button pad I press one
button to tell the laptop what the next foot press means and when I
kick the pedal my looper/fx is executing the command I armed it for by
the the finger button pressing. I think that will be a feasible
solution to traveling with light luggage and also setting up on stage
in 60 seconds (... well, almost...). I will keep this mini rig in
parallel to my FCB, so I can use both depending on circumstances.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)