Re: Real Time Sampling

Let me explain once again...

Sampling is a process of recording sound in a digital form in order to
recreate it at a later time.

Real-time refers to a computer system that can process incoming data at
the rate they are delivered.
In other words the reaction to a certain phenomenon is immediate, that
is without delay
or, to be more precise, the response time does not exceed certain
relatively small level.

Now,  let us think whether the recording itself can be delayed.
 From an analog perspective it seems enough to use very long cables
between microphone and recorder,
like from earth to sun. This would give more than 8 minutes of delay -
long enough to play a whole tune.
There is unfortunately no contradiction here, as the data are simply
delivered later, but recorder immediately.
What about digital - we can buffer the incoming data and record it
afterwards. Not a chance here either;
to put it in a buffer we have to sample it (again immediately), so all
we've got is resampling.

What I am trying to say is that 'real-time' is inherent to 'recording',
in particular to sampling, and
therefore redundant.

On the other hand when I look at the term 'non-real-time sampling' I
imagine a musician who incidentally
pressed the record button after he played his piece. What would he get?
The sound of silence,
provided his preamps are really good.

I hope this clarifies my opinion on this topic presented earlier.

Michal