RE: OT: Getting that tube amp sound w/o a tube amp

I’ll put a plug in for the Tonelab.  I’ve used one* in my solo loop rig (through an EDP and Bose L1) for about five years, and it has served me well.  I have a variety of programs I’ve created for it, from fairly classic Fender Bassman, Twin and Deluxe timbres to driven Marshalls and Voxes.  There’s little chance that they’d fake out a trained ear, but compared to having another open mic onstage and a heavy amp/cab to lug around, this is a nice arrangement.  The Tonelab has one 12AX7 in it, which makes it a lot warmer than the Pod products (I also have a Pod XT Live I use as a pedalboard with the band).  Since my music begins in blues and wanders into jam and ambience, the ability to cop, say, an Elmore James tone from his early 1960s Fire recordings is nice—just put it on the Twin Reverb patch, switch in the built-in overdrive pedal  and add a bit too much spring reverb—and there it is.  Of course, it helps to play a $40 early 60s Prestige two-pickup Japanese import, too…

*I have the small blue-box Tonelab, not the pedal version.  The only drawback to it is playing outdoors; the red LEDs get swallowed up by sunlight or ultra bright stage lights.

dave

micdave@hiwaay.net

To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: OT: Getting that tube amp sound w/o a tube amp

get a couple amps! One (or more) for looped part(s) one for solos. That way you don't overload the PA.

Just a thought. But this is what I'm working towards with looping. It works well now with the RC50 but I have no idea how it will be if and when I upgrade to a better setup. I'm now pretty much convinced I'm gonna have to take the plunge into Powerbook land... but I don't wanna. After 25 years of using music software, I've developed a healthy fear of new programs.

I haven't used the Vox Tonelab. Haven't tried many modelers since they first came out. I wasn't wild about them then. Luddite.

I love the sound of a good amp. So much character and bhava. A hot tube is a sensuous thing! And a whole host of them is an orgy.

I'm sure someone's already said this, but why not mic the amp(s)? IS that a routing issue with EDP?

But I've enjoyed listening to lots of stuff in this group that's done with modelers etc. So it can be done! But to me, a good amp makes it so easy.

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
www.glassWing.com www.richardsales.com