Re: OT: Getting that tube amp sound w/o a tube amp

> On 24-May-08, at 11:31 PM, Adam Hart wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a way to get a nice warm tube overdrive (strat) thru my
>> PA (bose LP1) without micing a guitar amp.  Since I loop (EDP) I don't
>want
>> my guitar coming out of an amp and PA during the recording phase and
>then
>> only out of the PA in the looping phase.

So, what you're saying is that you want to play "silent guitar" to be
heard not until the recorded loop/overdub reaches the EDP output/PA?
Well, that's odd. Play THROUGH the EDP and set the balance knob all
right for only the wet loop signal.

>> Any ideas on how I can get a nice tone from my Strat w/o micing a nice
>> tube amp?  do I need a tube preamp?

Yes of course! You can pick up on of those first model PODs very
cheaply now. They are perfect for this job. But they bring a little
latency to the sound, equal to if you should stand four or five meters
from your guitar amp/speaker. The Vox Tonelab is known for being one
of the best simulators (meaning it sounds close to the real thing).
You could also try out odd things like old tape recorders or radio
units that can be found on flee markets for almost nothing. Maybe
running your Tube Screamer through such a device will give a great
sound? Just try out stuff and find something you like!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)