Re: OT: Getting that tube amp sound w/o a tube amp

Richard Sales wrote:

> I love the sound of a good amp. So much character and bhava. A hot tube
> is a sensuous thing! And a whole host of them is an orgy.
>
> I'm sure someone's already said this, but why not mic the amp(s)? IS
> that a routing issue with EDP?

Absolutely no reason you couldn't do that.

..but you're right, most don't bother

Reason you might not want to bother is that the mic'ed up amp
is then going to be modified in sound by the pa.

If you're playing a "big gig" or a small club with their own pa then
generally the pa sound isn't going to be good enough to tell the difference
between your wonderful valves and a  modeller.

If you've got your own high quality pa, then the only downside is the large
amount of gear you now have to transport and set up.

> But I've enjoyed listening to lots of stuff in this group that's done
> with modelers etc. So it can be done! But to me, a good amp makes it so
> easy.

So stick with it then :-)

andy butler