Re: In praise of Logic Express

I was pretty happy with Sonar back at Sonar 3. And I have to say, from
it's Cakewalk roots, Sonar retains that CAL language which is a pretty
hip thing (Sonar 3 had it, anyway). Then I moved primarily to a Mac,
so it was time to try something else. I tried Live for a while, but
for me it was quite disappointing (for the money, i expected something
a lot more "complete", subjective as that term is, out of the box)

And Logic is not *that* frakking hard to learn! The Nahmani book is pretty
good.

And the main reason it's hard to learn is that there is so much there
- and some of it is unfamiliar because it is different in a *better*
way! OK, the mouseover hints are not as good as they should be (as
opposed to Live, where they are superb), so that's just bad UI design.
And there are many other elements of the UI that are not as *I*
(perfect UI designer that I am) would do them.  But really, I was
recording audio+midi tracks and changing instruments and fx inside of
an hour or two.

So I would say to you, don't let the fear-mongers dissuade you. For
someone like me (clearly not for everyone) there seems to be a lot
more to like in Logic than Live.

That said: I'm using a 460-page book of tutorials to guide me through
it, the user manual is 1055 pages, and the the Instruments/Effect
manual another 450! And this is for Express! But I'm not looking for a
quick fix. I'm looking for something deep that I can "live in" for the
next 5-10 years (with additions and upgrades over time). And I'm not
throwing away MAX/MSP either.