Re: OT: In praise of Logic Express

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Warren Sirota <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
wrote:

> So, Per, what parts are you talking about that are your favorites in
>Studio?

Ok, just going into the stuff I actually use in Studio:

--> Applications:
I use Wave Burner a lot for redbook compliant CD mastering. This way I
keep working in 24 bit mode all the way, even bouncing my final
masters as 24 bit files. In Wave Burner I line up thes 24 bit masters
for CD mastering and let Wave Burner handle the dithering down to 16
bits as part of the burning CD process. This workflow lets you stay
with the better headroom all through the production process.

Quicktime Pro comes with Logic Pro Studio. I found great use for QT
Pro, almost daily, when handling cell phone video clips and converting
between different formats for different purposes.

MainStage! This is essentially all of Logic's instruments and plug-ins
but without the sequencer and micro tuning. A student of mine that has
been playing ten years with a huge guitar stomp box floor board just
loves MainStage because we could perfectly duplicate his rig in
MainStage. When a good looper AU plug-in becomes available MainStage
will be a good host for laptop looping.

Compressor (the applications). Makes it possible to finalize surround
mixes for video, sending AC3 files to film guys etc.

--> Plug-ins:
No Delay Designer in Express! (tape delay sim with harmonizer and
extensive signal routing capabilities).
No Space Designer in Express! (the convolution reverb that also lets
you record your own ambience).
The Ring Modulator (RingShifter) is one of my absolute favorites, also
missing in Express.
The Multi Compressor is not so good in Express. I need it fully
"tweakable" as in Logic Studio, not fixed to presets as in Express.
The AdLimiter is not part of Express. That's the ultimate music
mastering tool I always use.
Guitar Amp in Express doesn't sound as good as Guitar Amp Pro in Studio.

I'm not sure Express will let you side-chain compressor and noise-gate
plug-ins? Side-chaining is all over the place when I do a mix in Logic
and without it the music just sounds stiff.

--> Instruments:
The modeling synth Sculpture is not included in Express. So isn't the
Hammon Organ EVB3, nor the Clavinette. They are all very useful.

--> Functions:
Surround mixing. I guess this also means the surround plug-ins
(compressor, delay, reverb) are not the same, surround compliant,
versions in Express.

Micro tonal tuning systems, totally lacking in Express. Logic offers
most tuning systems of the music history and the handling is global,
meaning you set it to one tuning and it immediately affects all
virtual instruments in that song. This is so fun and powerful for
composing! Can't even imaging being without it. I personally play
intonation instruments a lot (guitar, air, reed) and I totally hate it
when the micro tuning isn't where I want it.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)