Re: In praise of Logic Express

Rainer, I take your point, but I'm coming from a far less
sophisticated perspective, for what it's worth (not much). For me they
both fall into the category of "big expensive pieces of software with
significant learning curves (so significant that you can't even tell
how you'll like them for months) which promise to shoot me straight to
musical nirvana". So they're comparable in that slightly-subjective
sense. They're comparable in the sense that I pretty much have to
choose one or the other for most of my day-to-day music stuff, such as
it is, because I can really only keep one of them loaded into
functional memory at a time. And because I felt that I financially had
to choose between adding capabilities to my Live 6 license or buying
Logic Express.

It comes down to this: how excited do i get playing with it, how many
cool directions does it lead me, how easily can i bend it to my will
when i need to? I think the directions that I like to take things - at
least right now - are just more suited to the mind-set of Logic. I
just wrote my first actual tune in years (ok, i know some of you
probably think that's a BAD thing, but I think it's cool), and it was
far more spontaneous than my usual process. And I actually got
printable notation transcribed off my midi guitar playing, with just a
little tweaking.

You may be right that the comparison is not valid, but i still think
it's worth making a point to the community that $200 buys you an
amazing amt of musicality these days. I just think it's a tremendous
deal.

Warren