Date: June 10, 2008 2:21:31 PM PDT
To: "Rev Fever" <revfever@ubergadget.com>
Subject: Re: Origins of looping

Yes, that's a old story.  They don't mention that it took 30 seconds
for him to hear himself.  And what inspiring words!  (He was an
engineer, apparently a very good one.)

Best telling of the story is by Ron Rosenbaum, referred to here:

Rosenbaum's original article in Esquire (which I read in high school)
inspired Jobs and Wozniak to develop a blue box as their first
product, before the Apple I.

Tape loops predate the global phone system, but I think the original
poster was jesting.