Re: Looping Beginner Seeks Help

Hi,

Ableton Live is a good software for making static loops on-the-fly and
going into tempo changes. The way to go would be to prepare Live's
session view for your song structure and simply record the stuff into
clips that will continue looping. For tempo changes you type the new
tempo into the master track slot, which will then affect the tempo
when you select that cell (and the "scene"). This concept is used by
Kid Beyond. A bad bad side might be that you will have to use some
sort of cue, or click, before you lay down the first loop.

Myself I rather use the free looping software Mobius in Windows XP
(booting a MacBook into XP by Apple's BootCamp). The reasons for my
choice are two: (1) I can overdub multiple layers into one single loop
and (2) I can record the first loop without any cue or click-track.
The looper analyzes the first loop you create, extracts the BPB and
sends out a sync signal so other gear or software effect plug-ins may
sync to the beat. The default version of Mobius is eight tracks. Each
track can hold an unlimited number of loops, but only one loop per
track can play at the same time. You can overdub an unlimited number
of audio layers into a loop. You can run parallel loops of different
lengths on the eight tracks. The way to go into a new song part is to
kick the command "Next Loop". If you are using four parallel loops
(for different instruments) you may set those four tracks into "Focus
Mode" to have the "Next Loop" command affect all those tracks rather
than only the selected track. I guess Tempo changes are difficult to
achieve in Mobius. I change tempo by destructively cutting down the
loop length, but that only works if you are working with just one
track.

There is a cool looper hardware called the Looperlative (google web
site and forum to read up). It has eight tracks, but in its recent
software state it doesn't permit the user to have many loops stored in
each track (to jump between). So to go between different song parts
with the Looperlative you need to set up a pedal that mutes one track
and unmutes another one. That's possible though.

Per

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen