Re: is using Pre-recorded Loops Cheating

Personally, I do not get and probably will never get the difference between artist and entertainer. There's just the difference between interested and uninterested (or shall we say, "discerning" and "dumb") audience members.

I always make music to entertain myself. I hope that other people will be entertained by it, and try (not always successfully) to perform in a way that would be entertaining to me if I were in the audience. When I perform, I am thrilled if people are moved to go nuts and disappointed if not.

Which is not to say that fulfilling any particular audience's expectations are part of my general goals for composition (although in a particular case it might be - i have no problem with commerciality other than that my tastes don't tend to lean that way, and, btw, I love(d) American Idol while rarely actually liking any of the songs performed there).

And I do recognize that not every art-ifact that I produce is appropriate or would be appreciated in every setting. That doesn't diminish either the art or the setting.

I just wish it were easier to find more smart audiences and settings!

Warren

Oh, and BTW, i freely confess - my ego (but not my inner sense of self-worth) is pretty fully engaged whenever i perform (indeed, it is fully engaged nearly all the time, but moderated with the substantial amts of humility that experience has wisely chosen to shove in my face). i don't see any reason to feel apologetic about this.