re: is using pre-recorded loops Cheating

Rick,

As you very well know . . . I use static loops too (and quite often) . . .
but I TRY to disguise it as much as possible by having other looped stuff
playing against it, over it, under it, synched and unsynched . . . and by
tweaking the relative volume, panning, filtering, etc., and other
processing in ways to keep it a little more interesting.

It's like drawing on grid paper and only letting the underlying grid show
through every now and again (in select places and circumstances).

"Flux Aeterna" is full of static loops that appear and disappear and
reappear again . . . or merge into the background to lay hidden among
other, louder details until those details are stripped away again.

I think we both might agree though that having a naked
boom-chucka-boom-chucka-boom drum loop going unaltered for 10 minutes
would be tedious unless it had some really elastic temporal variations
(push and pull) going on against it (or a really superb melody).

There is nothing particularly imaginative or creative about it . . . it's
like looking at the piece of grid paper all by itself with nothing else on
it.

BTW - one of my favorite things to do is superimpose elements with
different time signatures.

It's kinda hard to do on a guitar in real-time  . . . even for a
finger-picker like me . . . but it becomes easier with looping devices and
on a DAW.

Drummers like you . . . and really good pianists a la Keith Jarrett . . .
have been doing this for years.

Playing with time can be a very fun thing to do.

But you don't know how elastic some musicians are actually being unless
there is something to reference the variations against.

You call it a "frame" and I call it a "grid" but I think we're both
talking about the same concept.

I don't think I was being adamant about it was I?

I too agree that constant change with no common, recurring theme or
reference point . . . or apparent structural underpinning can be just as
tedious as monotonous repetition.

Ted