Re: Is using Pre-Recorded Loops Cheating?

There's lot's of different ways to use pre-recorded material at a live gig.

At the Norwich Loopfest, Michael Peters had some pre-recorded drum
patterns.
They were originally randomly generated, and as he played along to them he
recorded
the mix into a loop. The impression I got was that he was responding very
spontaneously to the sounds, as if they had been randomly generated on the
spot.
(can be found at www.andybutler.com/norwichfest.htm )

Generally though, I think pre-recorded material is a bit boring,
not part of the performance, but diluting it,
...just taking you part of the way towards miming.

...and in a live looping context,it's confusing for the audience if
there's
not a clear way to tell pre-recorded from live.

andy butler