Re: Is using Pre-Recorded Loops Cheating?

I think that judgement is mostly internal, like making a shot in
pool... You know if its basically what you intended and more is
expected of the "pros" (by themselves and others).

But a good rule of thumb is "Is this a tool or have I affected it in
some way."

That is, tool like an instrument and affected as in triggering the
loop or possibly even just adding some well chosen effects.

In abroad sense, library loops must count in that we must sort through
and choose them as we would sort through white and black keys on a
piano or colors on an artist's pallet.

(that said, its much cooler to build everything live... Or at least
know you can... Leading to another possible rule of thumb: if you
chose to use a loop but could have recorded it, that's okay, if you
couldn't have made it yourself, well, thats sill up to you.)