Subject: Re: Echoplex -- Wanted: The optimum way to synch with the rhythmsection or vice versa

Thanks Claude and Phill for the responses. The drummer
I'm working with is very disciplined is used to
working with clicks from the kinds of shows he used to
play in. So, yes, even though a bit cumbersome, we
could work with clicks. But Claude suggests that if
our monitors are good (this band is a trio and will be
playing only at moderate volumes, so we should be able
to easily design a good on stage sound system), and
the band is willing to work with me on the loops, we
should be able to set up the stage where we can hear
ourselves such that a tech fix isn't necessary.

I was leaning towards a tech solution because we are
writing songs that have odd time signatures. Most of
the songs change time signatures several times. So, it
is imperative that we all be able to hear the "one."
We are all concerned that we'll get in a live
situation where you always have the inherent problems
of the venue and things start to fall apart.

BUT, I will only be looping usually in one part of a
song that will stay the same time signature. AND to
keep the signal of the first loop clear and audible, I
had planned on usually only laying down perhaps one
overdub. In some cases all I'll be doing is recording
a rhyhthm passage, then playing a lead over the top.
(I understand this hardly taps the surface of the EDP,
but for now simpler will be better for us, I think.)

Tom

Be a better friend, newshound, and