RE: Research Paper Chapter 2 Part One DRAFT - Any feedback greatlyappreciated!

Thanks for your reply Andy! And thanks for shedding light on your actual
methods. I'd be interested to know if the combinations I suggested could
achieve the same results, purely in this small section of music...? There
are a couple of parts I'm unsure about: a) there's the InsertMode=Reverse,
would it work like this? and b) the Undo part...?

It would be nice to be able to keep this section as it is with the
addition of 'this is how he actually does it...' but seems I might have to
do some rewriting.

Darren

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:41:17 +0100
> From: akbutler@tiscali.co.uk
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: Re: Research Paper Chapter 2 Part One DRAFT - Any feedback
>greatly appreciated!
>
> hi Darren,
>
> Amazed to see an analysis of "Ro-Sham-Bo" there :-)
> (thankyou)
>
> So here's the necessary button presses to do that section.
>
> It's rather a strange little technique, only possible in Loop4 because
> Matthias Grob(inventor) gave in to my repeated pleas.
>

> Rather than using Overdub for the 4 beat section I have to
>
> 1) Before the 4 beats start I press NextLoop in order to prepare
> the EDP move to Loop no. 2
> 2) To start the "Overdub" I press and hold Multiply, which causes the
>EDP to
> start to copy loop1 onto loop2 while overdubbing the new part
> 3) Then when I release the "Multiply" button, after the 4 beats, loop2
>is cut to that length (an "Unrounded" multiply) and also reverses.
> 4) Another press of NextLoop to prepare he EDP to go back to loop1
> 5) Pay the little end phrase and hit "Undo" to bring back loop1 which
>plays forwards.
>
> This little exercise is called "Reverse Snipplets", because "Snipplets"
>was our
> word for snipping out a short section of loop and repeating it.
> It's a neat technique to master, but does require precision timing and
> a bit of practise to make it work convincingly.
>

> It's very true what you say about the technology being *played*.
> What sets someone like Andre LaFosse apart as a looper is the ability
> to somehow work out that a certain combination of foot presses, combined
> with simultaneous playing will produce a new (and often startling)
>result.
>
> It's not unusual for loopers to do strange things with loops, but
>generally
> any "special features" are programmed to respond to a single button
>press.
> Perhaps we might call this the "magic button" :-)
> (and of course, the vast majority of loopers rely on their musical
>skills,
> rather than their "looping chops" ).
>
> So there's 3 different approaches,
>
> 1) Loops are a way to repeat what I just played
> 2) Loops can do exciting new things when I hit this button here
> 3) I play the looper like it's part of my instrument, sometimes it's
> a voyage of discovery.
>
> I'd see a lot of overlap between those 3 ways of doing things, and
> I couldn't say any of those methods is going to produce better music than
> the others.
> ...but it's 3) that I find the most compelling, and the EDP would seem
>to be
> the looping device best suited to that approach.
>
> andy butler
>

> darren perry wrote:
>> Hey!

> [...]

Play the Andrex Hello Softie Game & win great prizes
http://www.thehellosoftiegame.co.uk