Re: Looping venue help

Sorry for the late reply but I'm 600 posts behinf on LD...

Chris Sewell wrote:
> Only because we allow it. I say bring back the union.
>
> On Apr 10, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Travis Hartnett wrote:
>> Because live music on the local level doesn't have much monetary
>> value and supply greatly outstrips demand.
I'm in Local 45 because that's the only way that I would be able to play
my saxophone in a community concert band.  (Remember high school band?
Brass, woodwinds, and percussion.)  However, outside of that and the
professional classical arena (symphony orchestra, et al), the union has
no power and, it seems, no interest.  The club scene is dismal as a
result.  The clubs rape musicians and will hire the lowest level of bad
musicians playing pap drivel to an uneducated crowd that only cares
about drinking, wriggling their arses, and getting laid.  That is,
unless they can get a DJ or Karaoke for cheaper.

To those who feel that it's OK to play for free, just remember that when
you place zero value on the music you make, you also reinforce the
concept that everyone else's music is worth the same; zero.  You are not
operating in a vacuum.  What you do affects others and has the potential
to take away thier choice to place value on not only their own music,
but on live music and on music in general.  Even if it's only dinner
(and it had better be a good one that also includes wine or beer to
boot!), some form of compensation should be required.  With this culture
of Rip A CD And Share Perfect Copies With Millions, we, as musicians,
don't need to be doing anything that reinforces the idea that all music
should be free and that musicians can just go get real jobs if they want
to eat.  With the economy going in the trash bin and the cost of just
getting to rehearsals and gigs rising exponentially, we need to act as a
single community and demand better treatment.

Cheers,

Bill