Re: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

What Travis wrote seems rather familiar to me. Of course you canīt make
huge
amounts of money from your own music -- especially when serving a niche
market -- but hey, anytime I play a concert somewhere I come home with a
few
bucks more in my pocket and a few CDs less in my kitchen, so what? I do it
for the fun of it, and when you love doing it you wonīt bother whether it
pays back in huge amounts of money or not. Of course other jobs are paid a
lot better, or you have to pay a lot more to have someone else do a job you
canīt do yourself, but so what? "If you donīt do it for the love of it, why
would you do it at all?" as a friend of mine from England once said so
aptly.

I know this kind of cynism very well. When I decided to professionalise on
making music, I was sneered at by my former co-worker who thought I was
nuts, and that spending my time and my money on making albums was just
pointless, that making CD album releases would be "nothing but a
prestigious
enterprise". Unfortunately, this attitude also reflected in his work
ethics.
Need I mention that I now work all on my own?

The bad thing is that music is not assigned a specific value in its own
right. To most people, music seems to be just a mere commodity that kills
silence or drives away boredom or whatever. Thus, they are not willing to
pay much for music because they donīt believe that the process of actually
creating music takes time, effort, energy, and money in its own right. This
attitude is reflected on the internet where people just rip albums
illegally
without paying for them. For a McDonaldīs bag full of shit they wouldnīt
hesitate to spend comparatively huge amounts of money on, but on music?
Why?
It has no value at all, not even a nutritional... when asked they would
rather have music for free than pay for it. The "In Rainbows" campaign by
Radiohead was the best example, and were they not a well-established band
with a lot of faithful supporters, they would have earned *nothing* after
all, had it been up to those who got themselves the album for no money at
all.

If I took this as a yardstick for my own work ethics, Iīd have quit making
music long ago. Luckily, the older I get, the less I bother.

Stephen

"Ambition makes you look pretty ugly, kicking squealing Gucci little
piggy."
(Thom Yorke/Radiohead -- "Paranoid Android")

Finally available: Stephen Parsick -- Traces of the Past Redux, reissued
with three previously unreleased bonus tracks. For more info please check
www.parsick.com